Lately I have neglected the blog in favour of doing some gardening. Now, my garden is an atom of a thing as it is truly pocket-handkerchief size, so it’s hard, in retrospect, to credit that doing very little to such a tiny space took up a vast amount of time. Admittedly a lot of that was thinking time: pondering what plants to buy, wondering were in the tiny space to put them, and trying to figure out by reading plant information labels at garden centres which were the best buys in terms of colour and longest flowering times.
The garden was theoretically ok as it was but it just wasn’t ‘me’ so I wanted to put my stamp on it by tweaking it a little. I started out with a rectangular shaped garden with narrow flower beds on three sides, there was a hole in the ground where a pond once was and the rest was hard surface of either brick or patio slabs.
Essentially it’s still much as before but I tried to, and hope I have, softened it somewhat. I decided that removing most of the paving slabs and replacing them with gravel would have that softening effect. I planned to get someone in for a day to do this, however I discovered to my surprise that the slabs came up easily so I removed some of them. In deference to my lower back I will get somebody in to take up the remainder but getting even a few out of the ground was a start and once I had put a couple of bags of gravel down where they had been, I had a feel for how the garden could look, and I felt encouraged to do some planting.
The main object of the new planting was to try add long-lasting colour so all the plants were picked on that basis without me being sure if they were right for my garden’s orientation and its resultant distinct lack of sunlight. Time will tell if they thrive or even survive. The names of the plants, that I hope will flower all summer, as transcribed from their labels include: solanum crispum ‘Glasnevin’, polygala myrtifolia, Erysimum Bowels’s mauve, geranium m ‘Bevan variety’ …
I took down the climbers that crawled over the fences as they were deciduous so they looked bedraggled and straggly in winter time. The hole that once was a pond got filled with bags of compost and some soil borrowed from the flower beds and then I planted an olive tree in it. I am going to have to prune said tree severely every year as it has the potential to grow large (ten metres apparently) and I want it to stay the size it is!